Thursday, September 24, 2015

Responding to Reviews

Don't do it!

Really?  But it looks so easy!  I mean look what's right there below every review on Amazon!


It's a "Comment" button, just begging to be clicked!
And look at my Amazon Author Central page where I can see all of my book's reviews:


Another "Comment" button!!!  Surely Amazon wants us to make comments. 

Often imitated, never duplicated

I repeat: Don't do it!

Take a look at some of the books by your favorite authors.  Go ahead, I'll wait..... Notice anything?  That's right, no replies from the author.  It's just not done.  Technically, those reviews aren't even for you.  They're for potential readers.  People who are trying to decide whether or not your book is a good fit for their interests.  The fact that you can glean any helpful information from them, use them to inflate your ego, or print them out and line your cat box with them is just a bonus.

But I'm an Indie Author, and I can do what I want.  I'm more accessible to my fans, which is part of the appeal.  Down with the ivory towers of solitude!!

That's true - there are no real rules to being an Indie Author.  You're not accountable to anyone, and can pretty much do whatever you damn well please.  However, there are expectations.  And if you don't abide by them you're likely to be labelled unprofessional.  Wondering what these guidelines are?  I learned a lot from other Indie Authors who've been at this much longer than I.  Head on over to the Goodreads group SupportIndieAuthors, or go to their website www.supportindieauthors.com for a whole wealth of information from a group of extremely nice and super friendly people.

Believe me, I understand the struggle.  I look at my reviews and I want so badly to interact with them.  You've already made a connection by having them read your work, and you want to keep it going.

You were smiling at the end?  Awesome!  I was smiling when I wrote the ending.

You enjoyed the humor?  Great!  Can you send my wife an email and tell her I'm funny?

You'd like to see it as a movie?  Me too!!!  Who do we call to make that happen?!


So, how can we interact with fans?  There are all kinds of platforms where it's not only accepted, but also encouraged.  Maybe you've heard of Facebook, or Twitter, or even just a regular old blog.  These are places where people come expecting interaction, and this is where being an Indie Author pays off. It's all about making a connection with your readers.

If you don't follow any other advice in this post, please, please, PLEASE listen to this last bit.  NEVER respond to a negative review.  You're not going to change someone's opinion of your work by arguing with them, and most likely you'll lose potential readers when they see how you respond to negativity.  Remember, these are people's opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own.  Honestly, I think "don't argue on the Internet" is just plain good advice for any situation.  Anonymity can bring out the worst in people.

And don't think you've found a loophole by attacking reviews from another site (like Facebook).  The Internet is a big place, but it's all connected, and links between people are getting more numerous every day.

Enjoy the positive reviews, and forget the negative.  If you figure out how to do that, then share the secret with me!

4 comments:

  1. I would make one exception. Readers who have a technical issue. Yes, they can resolve with Amazon but I've seen some authors offer to send over an updated file, it seems like a nice, low risk, high reward touch. I mention because that's the one star I saw when reading reviews before I purchased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inclined to agree with you, and have wrestled back and forth with myself over what to do with that particular one star review. At this point it might be a little too late for a response, but in the future I'll most likely try to reach out to reviews about such technical issues. After all, if I don't interact with my readers then I'm losing some of the magic that is being an indie author.

      Delete
    2. That said, it's a bit ridiculous to rate a authors work 1 star for a technical issue with Amazon. I wasn't endorsing their behavior in ANY way. ( I said that so you didn't have to)

      Delete
    3. Thank you very much! I actually posted about that one star in a Goodreads forum. My first thought was "that's not fair", but then I realized it wasn't fair to the person who's out $3 with no book either. They can't exactly rate Amazon's delivery service with a one star, so I can understand why it fell to me.

      Also, I realized I forgot to thank you for your purchase. Thank you and I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete